Sunday 5 June 2011


A look at what the roe deer did to my potatoes - probably at around 4am this morning. I was awake at the time - (my husband has been burning the midnight oil for a couple of weeks for a deadline he has to meet by tonight, and I sleep lightly at the best of times, so I must have heard him) and I could have sworn that I heard something in the garden. Unless it was the wasps which have built a nest above our window - I could hear them buzzing away and chewing their grey paper. The window was open - it being very warm at the moment - and several of them came inside. At six, I finally got up and found a few on the floor in front of the window, and on the heater. So I got rid of them before my sleepless hubby trod on one getting into bed - just as well. (He finally packed it in at 6.30am - slept for 4.5 hours and got up again at 11.30. I hope he won't have to work too late again tonight. It's been a bit much for him really.

Anyway - I went out first thing - and there was the potato patch - decimated. Oh well.
I need to find out though, what happens now? Will I still get potatoes, even if the tops have all been eaten off? They hadn't flowered so I don't know what will happen now. Maybe I'll have to wait and see.

We are thinking of ringing the lady whose job it is to keep tracks on the forest deer - she hunts and culls them every now and then - she lives quite close by - the deer have only been a problem for 3 years - before that they never came into the gardens here - maybe she can dispose of a few and give us a haunch of venison or two - after all - they ate our veggies - a bit of compensation wouldn't come amiss!

No comments: